How Your Support Advances the Performing Arts in Our Community
The arts strengthen and enrich our communities, and Capital City Bank is dedicated to helping communities thrive. We are proud to have supported Opening Nights Performing Arts since its inception.
– Tom Barron, President, Capital City Bank
2016–17 Season in Review
Our donors’ generous contributions helped Opening Nights Performing Arts at Florida State University provide more than 75 performances, events and educational experiences in music, theatre, dance, film, spoken word and visual arts throughout the Big Bend area. Highlights include:
- World-renowned artists such as Smokey Robinson, Lily Tomlin, Chris Botti, Twyla Tharp Dance, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Wayne Shorter Quartet and Lang Lang
- Over 40 ticketed performances on and off campus
- More than 35 free campus/community performances and educational events
- More than 20,000 patrons attended the season’s events
- Increased arts education in schools by hosting a week-long North Florida School Tour in the fall for students in Leon and Jefferson counties
- Free professional development workshops for Leon County teachers through the John F. Kennedy Center’s Partners in Education program
- Campus partnerships with the Florida State University College of Music, School of Theatre, School of Dance, College of Communications & Information, College of Motion Picture Arts, Department of Art Education, Creative Writing program, the Museum of Fine Arts, Student Life Cinema, MANCC, Center for Leadership & Social Change, and Black Faculty and Staff Network
- Community collaboration with the Tallahassee Museum (Saturday Matinée of the Arts), the Council on Culture & Arts (COCA), Leon County Schools, Goodwood Museum & Gardens, Pebble Hill Plantation, Tallahassee Symphony Orchestra, Tallahassee Community College, and Southern Shakespeare Company
- Visiting artists and performers provided 18 master classes, lectures and Question and Answer sessions
- 20 percent of ticket sales were subsidized so students from all local schools could attend for $15
Join the more than 600 businesses and individuals supporting the performing arts in our community, making Tallahassee a destination for diverse artistic and cultural activities!